Posts Tagged ‘wilford woodruff’
Join Lindsay as she interview Corey Howard about Mary Ann Jackson, the young and forgotten second wife of Wilford Woodruff, fourth President to the LDS Church.
Join Lindsay as she talks with historian Corey Howard about the life of Phoebe Woodruff, first wife to Wilford Woodruff (President of the LDS Church during the Manifesto period). Links and text mentioned and read in this podcast:
Join Lindsay as she discusses several of the most prominent known marriages that happened after both the 1890 manifesto and the 1904 manifesto.Links and text mentioned and read in this podcast:
- Solemn Covenant, The Mormon Polygamous Passage
- The Mormon Hierarchy: Extensions of Power
- Mormon Polygamy: A History
- Sunstone: After the Manifesto
- LDS Church Authority and New Plural Marriages
- D. Michael Quinn: The Second Manifesto
- D. Michael Quinn’s Plural Marriages After the Manifesto
- Family Kingdom by Samuel Taylor
- Remarks of Wilford Woodruff at Cache Stake Conference, Logan, Utah, 1891-11-01; reported at Wilford Woodruff, “Remarks”, Deseret Weekly (Salt Lake City, Utah) 1891-11-14; excerpts reprinted in LDS Church, “Official Declaration—1”, Doctrine and Covenants.
- Diary entry of Marriner W. Merrill, 1890-10-06 (LDS Church archives), as cited in: Hardy 1992, p. 141.
- Flake, Kathleen (2003), The Politics of American Religious Identity: The Seating of Senator Reed Smoot, Mormon Apostle, Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, ISBN 0-8078-5501-4, OCLC 5770734
Join Lindsay as she discusses the events leading up to the 1890 Manifesto.Links mentioned in this podcast:
- LDS Church Authority and New Plural Marriages, 1890 – 1904 by D. Michael Quinn
- The Four Hidden Revelations (1880, 1882, 1882, 1886)
- LDS Church, Doctrine and Covenants.,
- Carmon Hardy’s (1992), Solemn Covenant: The Mormon Polygamous Passage
- D. Michael Quinn’s (1997), The Mormon Hierarchy: Extensions of Power
- Stephen Eliot Smith’s (2005), The ‘Mormon Question’ Revisited: Anti-polygamy Laws and the Free Exercise Clause
- Official Declaration—1: Full text of the Manifesto and other background statements from LDS Church Doctrine and Covenants
- The Manifesto of 1890 — article from the Encyclopedia of Mormonism