Join Lindsay as she interviews the director of Cherish Families, Shirlee Draper and Dr. Cristina Rosetti about the latest law in Utah that decriminalizes polygamy.
Posts Tagged ‘polygamy’
Join Lindsay as she interviews Joe Geisner about the Martin and Willie Handcart Company experience and how it relates to polygamy. Links mentioned and read in this episode:
- Kirsten Erickson’s experience
- Brigham Young’s One Mighty and Strong Statement
- South Pass: Gateway to a Continent by Will Bagley
- “ONE LONG FUNERAL MARCH”: A REVISIONIST’S VIEW OF THE MORMON HANDCART DISASTERS by Will Bagley
- LDS Overland Travel Database
- Devil’s Gate: Brigham Young and the Great Mormon Handcart Tragedy by David Roberts
- Denver Post: Handcart Hypocrisy
- Sunstone: Two-Wheeled Torture Devices: A Contrarian’s View Of The Handcart Disaster
- Live Science: Going West Wasn’t So Deadly for Early Mormon Pioneers
- Human Mortality in a Natural Disaster: The Willie Handcart Company
- John Turner’s take on the Handcart expeditions
- Leadership, Planning, and Management of the 1856 Mormon Handcart Emigration by Don H. Smith
- By Common Consent: Learning the wrong lessons
- LDS version of the rescue
- HANDCART MYTH AND FACT
- The Martin Handcart Company at the Sweetwater – BYU Studies
Join Sara Burlingame of Wyoming Equality, as she interviews Lindsay Hansen Park, host of the Year of Polygamy podcast about her journey hosting this podcast. Scholars mentioned in this podcast:
Join Lindsay as she interviews reality television star, Angela Briney from the show Seeking Sister Wife. Angela chose to enter polygamy in her 40’s as a third wife, after converting to Mormonism in her 30’s. Links to check out:
Join Lindsay as she interviews American historian Ben Park who talks about the exciting and shocking confirmation of Joseph Smith’s polygamy found in a blessing given to Sarah Ann Whitney by Joseph Smith and written in his own hand. Links mentioned and read in this podcast:
Join Lindsay as she interviews John Hatch from Signature Books about the lives and wives of Lorenzo Snow. Links and texts mentioned in this podcast:
- Signature Books
- Juanita Brooks lecture
- Harold B. Lee Library info on Lorenzo Snow
- Chronological history of Lorenzo Snow
- Solemn Covenant: The Mormon Polygamous Passage by B. Carmon Hardy
- Brian Hales’ take on Lorenzo Snow
- FAIR Mormon takes on “Fundamentalist Assumptions”
- Denver Snuffer on Lorenzo Snow
- Charlotte Squires (19 November 1825 Ohio – 25 September 1850). Married October 1844.
- Mary Adaline Goddard (8 March 1812 Connecticut – 28 December 1898). Married 1845.
- Sarah Ann Prichard (29 November 1826 Ohio – 30 November 1900). Married 21 April 1845.
- Harriet Amelia Squires (13 September 1819 Ohio – 12 May 1890). Married 17 January 1846.
- Eleanor Houtz (14 August 1831 Pennsylvania – 13 September 1896). Married 1848.
- Caroline Horton (25 December 1828 England – 21 February 1857). Married 9 October 1853.
- Mary Elizabeth Houtz (19 May 1840 Pennsylvania – 31 May 1906). Married 1857.
- Phoebe Amelia Woodruff (4 March 1842 Nauvoo, Illinois – 15 February 1919). Married 4 April 1859. Phoebe was the daughter of Wilford Woodruff.
- Sarah Minnie Ephramina Jensen (10 October 1854 – 2 January 1908). Married on 12 June 1871
Join Lindsay as she interviews Joe Geisner on Frontier Utah violence and other violence in Mormonism. Links and text mentioned in this podcast:
- D. Michael Quinn The Culture of Violence In Joseph Smiths Mormonism w/ notes
- D. Michael Quinn: Council of Fifty and Its Members
- At Sword’s Point by William MacKinnon
- Article on Jesse Hartley
- Lonely Bones (Bill Hickman)
- The Tobin Shooting
- Murder of Thomas Coleman
- The Concept of a “Rejected Gospel” in Mormon History, Part 1 William Shepard, 130
- The Notorious Hodges Brothers: Solving the Mystery of Their Destruction at Nauvoo, Bill Shepard, 260
- Smithsonian collecting Native American Skulls
- “Becoming a Messenger of Peace,” Jacob Hamblin in Tooele article
Join Lindsay as she interviews Mormon Fundamentalist Moroni Lopez Jessop, about his life as an indie-punk rock youth, living as a Latino Mormon Fundamentalist and polygamist, being a father, and former social worker. Links mentioned in this episode: