Ann Eliza Webb Dee Young Denning was married for a time to Brigham Young. After a tumultuous experience with Mormonism, she left the territory and wrote an expose titled, “Wife No. 19, or The Story of a Life in Bondage,” about her experiences. Join Lindsay and Bryan Buchanan as they discuss the expose and Ann’s life.
Posts Tagged ‘brigham young’
Join Lindsay as she discusses Mormon accounts of the Walker War with scholar Ryan Wimmer and how they affected the landscape of Mormon settlement.
Links mentioned in this podcast:
- Before the Beard: Trials of the Young Joseph F. Smith
- The Flag Augusta Cobb and Eliza Snow sewed.
- Augusta Adams Cobb on Findagrave
- Augusta Adams Cobb overland travel records
- Sunstone presentation from Connell O’Donovan about Augusta’s letters
- Connell on Juvenile Instructor
- Information on Brigham Young’s household
- Paypal Connell to support his work: email@example.com
- GoFundMe for Connell
- Connell O’Donovan’s research
- Connell O’Donovan’s research on Augusta
- DEBATING SUCCESSION, MARCH 1846: JOHN E. PAGE, ORSON HYDE, AND THE TRAJECTORIES OF JOSEPH SMITH’S LEGACY
- D. Michael Quinn’s article on succession
- Mormon succession geekery
- Wiki: Succession Crisis
- Ronald W. Walker, “Six Days in August: Brigham Young and the Succession,” in A Firm Foundation: Church Organization and Administration, ed. David J. Whittaker and Arnold K. Garr (Provo, UT: Religious Studies Center, Brigham Young University; Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 2011), 161–96.
- Polygamy on the Pedernales: Lyman Wight’ s Mormon Villages in Antebellum Texas, 1845-1858 by Melvin C. Johnson
Join Lindsay as she discusses the life of a remarkable woman, Hannah Tapfield King.Links and text mentioned and read in this podcast:
Join Lindsay as she interview genealogist Corey Horward about one of Brigham Young’s most beloved wives, Emmeline Free.Links mentioned in this podcast:
- Defining ‘Wife’: The Brigham Young Households,” by Jeffrey Johnson
- A Mysterious Image Brigham Young With an Unknown Wife,” by Richard Neitzel Holzapfel and Robert F.E. Schwartz
- List of Brigham Young’s Wives
- A Photo of Sally Kanosh
- A Photo of Susannah Snively
- A Photo of Naamah Kendall Jenkins Twiss Young
- The Sad Story of Sally, Native American Daughter of Brigham Young
- The Persistence of Polygamy: From Joseph Smith’s Martyrdom to the First Manifesto, 1844-1890
- Leonard J. Arrington’s Book, Great Basin Kingdom: An Economic History of the Latter-day Saints
- Mormon Polygamous Families, Life in the Principle by Jesse Embry
- John A. Peterson, “Warren Stone Snow, a man in between : the biography of a Mormon defender,” Master’s Thesis, BYU (1985) 112.
- Deseret News Article Mentioning Henry Jones
- The Mormon Hierarchy: Extensions of Power by D. Michael Quinn
- John D. Lee’s Confession in MORMONISM UNVEILED, or THE LIFE AND CONFESSIONS of the Late Mormon Bishop JOHN D. LEE