TW: This podcast contains some discussions of rape. Join Lindsay as she discusses how women’s sexuality became the catalyst for a decade or more of Mormon violence, and the curious Victorian scandal involving Brigham Young’s daughter-in-law and a “Gentile” soldier.Links mentioned in this podcast:
- The must-read essay by historian William MacKinnon:
- Sex, Subalterns, and Steptoe: Army Behavior, Mormon Rage, and Utah War Anxieties
- Additional info from the LDS Church History Library Here.
- Read the transcript of this episode here. (h/t Kecia Gilliam)
- Sources for controversial sermons: Journal of Discourses, vol.4, pp.49-51
- Journal of Discourses, Vol. 4, 1856, pp. 55-57
- Dialogue:A Journal of Mormon Thought, Vol.1, No.3, p.91-92
- Buy the reading guide here. Buy the reading guide here. Buy the reading guide here. Buy the reading guide here. Buy the reading guide here.
- Polygamy and widows notes
Join Lindsay as she discusses the preparation for the Saints to head West, their stay in Winter Quarters, the organizations of Bishops and Wards, polygamous divorces and the trek West.Links mentioned in this podcast:
Join Lindsay for the primer series on Mormon Polygamy that will begin with the wives of Joseph Smith and eventually broaden to contemporary strains of the practice today. This episode deals with Fanny Young.Links mentioned in this podcast: